First impression matter a lot. Especially when it comes to a job interview. It can be as stressful as having the job interview itself. When it comes to getting the job, you want clothes that look nice and fit you well. But what about a casual job interview?
It is said that over half of first impressions are determined by what the interviewee is wearing. Managers have also stated that clothes can be a huge factor between candidates.
While it can be pretty easy to determine what to wear to a job interview, what does one wear to something more casual? Well, this article is to help men and women have a good understanding of what clothes to wear for a casual job interview.
Men’s Casual Business Attire
There are many jobs in the world that don’t require you to wear a suit and tie to the job or to the interview even. Instead, jobs like IT or more relaxed startups will have a more relaxed attire rule.
For men, consider the following clothing to wear:
- Choose either chinos or trousers to wear.
- Wear a button-up shirt with a collar.
- Make sure the socks are matching.
- For shoes, consider leather shoes.
- If you need documents to take with you, consider a satchel or a briefcase.
- Try to avoid wearing jeans or shirts without collars.
- No open-toe shoes like sandals or flip-flops.
- Keep yourself clean-shaven and trimmed.
- If you have long hair, tie it back.
- In some industries, like the ones in the creative field, add something to your outfit. Make sure it is still workplace appropriate, but it will give you an edge over your competitors. This is because it gives you more of a story, more dynamic even.
Men’s Casual Environment
For places like coffee shops or family restaurants, the application can be difficult. Some have uniforms that are required to wear, while others just want you to look good. One way to impress is to wear something similar to the business’s uniform. However, it is still important to impress them. Therefore, follow these ideas:
- Regardless of the outfit you have, make sure that it looks clean and polished.
- Avoid jeans and go for a pair of dark pants or chinos.
- A buttoned shirt or collared polo.
- Don’t wear the tie unless it is part of their uniform.
- Casual loafers are a good fit with chinos.
- Hair needs to be trimmed and tidied.
- Avoid over-dousing yourself in cologne. You just need a spray or two.
- Make sure that your hands and nails are clean.
Women’s Casual Business Attire
For the ladies, having an interview is an exciting time. But whether you have a new job in the big city or just get a part-time job at a cafe, you need to be wearing the right stuff.
The dress code is what will help you stand out. While you want to impress your interviewers, remember, this is not the Met Gala, no need to go overboard with your clothes or over-accessorize yourself.
Instead, choose from these options for your job interview:
- Block-colored slacks or a knee-length skirt.
- With tights, ensure that there are no rips or holes.
- With whatever bottom you choose, the top should be a button-up shirt that matches.
- Try to avoid low-cut shirts.
- Shift dresses are great, especially with a jacket that fits with it.
- Skirts and dresses should be at the knee or lower.
- Covered shoes, no open toe.
- If you are wearing heels, pick something in the 0.7 in – 2.3 in range. (2-6cm)
- Add personality via your accessories. But, don’t overdo it.
- Avoid large bags if you can. Go with a matching handbag.
- Hair should be styled or tied back.
Women’s Casual Environment
As stated above, some places are very chill and don’t need you to overdress. In fact, some places have you wear a uniform. While you don’t want to be too casual, you still want to be looking your best.
Consider the following:
- Smart slacks, dark jeans, and tailored jeans are your best bet for the job interview.
- Knee-length or mid-skirts can work.
- Closed shoes that are either flats or just small heels.
- Avoid the low-cut shirts and pick a blouse or shirt that fits and goes with your outfit.
- Try a cropped cardigan.
- Have a couple of pieces of accessories that show who you are as a person.
- Don’t overdo it with the perfume, just a couple of sprays.
- Hair should be neat or tied back.
The tips above are a sure way to get you to succeed in your job interview. But, consider this, society is always changing, thus our clothes do as well. In the past and present, many still don’t like tattoos or piercings on who they are interviewing. However, for the younger generation, many have at least one of these, if not both. Being picky with your interviewees is not a bad thing, but basing who they are on their appearance is not going to do you any favors.
Remember: never judge a book by its cover.