Do you want to take a professional headshot but don’t have the budget or time to book a photographer? Believe it or not, you can create your own professional headshot using only your trusty iPhone! This guide is all you need to learn the key tips and tricks for getting the perfect shot. From finding the right outfit to the best location, you’ll know everything by the time you finish reading this quick post. So read on and learn how to take professional photos with iPhone cameras and make a great impression on clients and recruiters!
Professional Prep for DIY Photos with iPhone
If you want to take professional photos with an iPhone, the outfit you choose is just as important as your skills in photography. Taking the time to dress appropriately for the occasion can make or break your professional headshot.
Your outfit should be tailored to your profession, and you should never wear jeans, shorts, or t-shirts. Instead, go for a classic and sophisticated look. Men can wear slacks, collared shirts, and jackets, while women can wear skirt suits or dresses that professionally hug their figures.
The colors of your outfit should remain neutral and professional; opt for blacks, grays, and whites rather than bright colors. In addition, be wary of busy patterns, as these can be distracting when taking a headshot.
Hair & Skin
When deciding what to do with your hair and skin, focus on maintaining healthy and natural-looking locks and ensuring that your skin is clean and glowing.
A good haircut is essential, so why not visit the salon for a trim and tidying? You could even ask for a styling session if you’re feeling brave.
When it comes to skincare, using toners, moisturizers, and exfoliators can help keep your skin looking fresh and vibrant.
For the perfect shot, you should also consider makeup. If you really want to take professional photos with an iPhone, Opt for subtle colors such as nude or earthy tones for a natural, professional look. You can always add a touch of eyeliner or mascara to draw attention to your eyes but don’t go overboard with dramatic colors or heavy layers.
Jewelry & Glasses
Accessories should be kept to a minimum. If you choose to wear jewelry, make sure it’s minimal and tasteful. It’s also good to stick with solid colors and avoid loud patterns. If you have any makeup, ensure that it’s natural and not too overpowering – you want to remain professional, so keep it minimal!
When taking headshot photos with an iPhone, glasses can be a great accessory to complete your look. When selecting the right frames, consider the shape of your face and pick a style that compliments your overall look. Choose frames with bold colors or intricate designs for a more dramatic look. On the other hand, if you’re going for a more classic look, then opt for frames in neutral colors or metal finishes.
Choosing a Location
The two main options for selecting a location for your iPhone headshot are indoors or outdoors. Here are some tips for each:
When you’re shooting indoors, try to find a well-lit space with a neutral background. This could be in your own home, studio, or indoor space. Keep in mind the type of aesthetic you’re going for, and make sure that the background is relevant to the type of images you want to create.
If you don’t have access to a studio, you can use furniture or other items to create your own backdrop. For example, you could hang a white sheet against a wall as a backdrop or use a piece of furniture to prop up your headshot.
If you want to shoot outdoors, look for well-lit areas with a neutral background. For example, you could take photos in your backyard, beach, or local park. You can also use natural elements such as trees, rocks, or flowers as props. Just make sure that the elements don’t overpower the subject (you).
For the best results, it’s best to shoot your photos during the golden hour. This is when the light is soft and warm, giving your photos a professional feel.
Finding the Right Light
When choosing the right light for your headshot, you should consider both the type and the direction of the light. Natural light is the best light source for headshots, as it is soft and more flattering than direct, bright light. Pay attention to the light’s intensity and ensure you don’t have harsh shadows. The intensity of the light can be adjusted by simply moving the subject closer or farther away from the light source.
The direction of the light is also essential when taking a headshot. The most flattering light is usually placed either directly above or slightly above the subject and facing toward them. This type of lighting is known as a ‘key’ light and is the most flattering for headshots. If you are taking a close-up of the head and shoulders, you can also use a backlight placed behind the subject and slightly lower than the head. The backlight should point towards the subject and provide a nice, soft light for the picture.
Note: The phone’s flash should not be used when taking a headshot with an iPhone. The flash can create harsh lighting and can make it difficult for the subject to look natural. Consider using a lamp or a softbox if you are taking your headshot indoors and need additional light.
Taking the Photo
Asking Someone to Take Your Photo
When it comes to learning how to take professional photos with iPhone, having someone else take the photo for you is essential to get the best results. It can be tricky if you’re unsure how to ask someone to take a professional photo for you. Here are some useful insights to help you get the perfect headshot with your iPhone.
- The subject should be centered in the frame. This will ensure that their head and shoulders will be nice and symmetrical in the photo. Another way to ensure you are correctly centered is to turn on the iPhone’s grid feature in the camera settings. This will give you a 3×3 grid of lines that should be used as a guide for positioning your subject.
- Adjust the lighting accordingly. If you are shooting in natural light, be sure to position your subject near the window and adjust the angles of the window so that the light is coming in at a flattering angle. If you are using a ring light, adjust the brightness and color to get the best effect.
- Shoot in the highest quality possible. On the iPhone, this means shooting in the ‘RAW’ format. This will give you the highest quality image and more editing options in post-production.
- Take several shots at different angles and poses. This will give you more options when selecting the best shot for your final product.
Use Portrait Mode for Selfie
If you want to take your own professional headshots, you’ll have to pop open that selfie camera and use portrait mode.
Portrait Mode uses both the dual-lens cameras and the TrueDepth camera of your iPhone to take stunning photos with a shallow depth of field. This creates a beautiful bokeh effect, which makes your photo’s background look slightly blurred. This blurring helps to make your photo’s subject stand out, making for a perfect headshot.
- To use Portrait Mode on an iPhone, first enable Portrait Mode on the camera app. Once enabled, you can choose from various lenses and filters that can help customize your photo’s look. There are also professional-grade features like exposure control and manual white balance.
- To get the best possible results, find the right lighting. Natural light is best, but you can also use a ring light or a flash to create a professional look. Stand in front of a blank wall, so you don’t have any distractions in the background. You can also use props or backdrops to add interest.
- When posing, experiment a bit to find your best angle. Relax your face and shoulders, looking away from the camera with a slight smile. You can also try different head tilts or hand positions to find the right look.
- Take multiple pictures and choose the best one. Try out different poses and effects to find the perfect headshot for your next project. With your iPhone, you have all the tools you need to create professional-grade photos without breaking the bank.
Editing Your Headshots
Editing your headshots is the final step of getting professional-quality images with your iPhone. By taking the time to fine-tune your photos with post-processing, you can give them the finishing touches they need to look their best.
The best way to edit your shots is with a photo editing app designed specifically for iOS devices. The built-in Photos app is a great place to start, as it comes pre-loaded on all iPhones and provides plenty of features for basic image adjustments. Further, you can find plenty of second-party apps available on the App Store, which offer more advanced editing tools and features. Here are some suggestions:
When it comes to editing your headshots, start by adjusting the color and contrast of your image to ensure the colors are accurate and vibrant. Additionally, you can crop your image to emphasize the subject’s face and apply a subtle vignetting effect to draw the viewer’s attention to the center of the frame.
You should also consider adding in a few subtle special effects, such as blurs, to soften the background while keeping the focus on the subject. Additionally, you can add a subtle black-and-white filter or experiment with warmer and cooler tones.
Finally, save your image in the highest possible resolution – this will ensure that your headshots look sharp and clear, no matter where you decide to post them. With these tips, you can take stunning professional headshots with your iPhone!