According to the most recent Gallup study about employee satisfaction released on 10/9/13, from 230,000 full-time and part-time workers in 142 countries, only 13% of workers feel engaged by their jobs.
Only 13%? Something’s totally wrong here.
Everyone deserves to do the things they are passionate about and wake up each day with the drive and fulfillment that comes from doing work that matters.
I think it’s about time to dig deep within yourself, grab some courage, and start doing some epic sh*t!
I’m not saying quit your job today and go backpacking throughout the world, although that would be epic and you could do that if you wanted to. I’m talking about doing things that are outside your comfort zone and finding your true self in the process. Look, I understand we all have responsibilities and bills to pay and there’s no escaping that, but we do have the power to choose what we do with our time.
Feeling stuck in a rut?
Choose yourself and take a day off, three days, five days, one full week and do one thing you haven’t done before or haven’t done in a while. I promise after you come back from your time off, you will feel reenergized with a different mindset wanting to do more things outside your comfort zone, and most importantly, take action upon those feelings because somehow they already know where you want to go.
Here are 22 ways that can help you get out of your rut:
- Buy a plane ticket to a place you’ve never been before and hang out with people you’ve never met before.
- Grab a cup of coffee or tea at your local shop and start a conversation with someone. You never know what opportunities it might lead to.
- Go for a walk/run on the beach with no technology. Just you and the sounds of waves calling your name.
- Look for places where you can have a clear view of sunrise/sunset and just sit there meditating about your life and what direction you want to take it.
- Reach out to someone you look up to and ask that person to share his/her own personal story with you and look for at least one way how you can help.
- Book a flight with long layovers and go explore around. It’s all about the journey not the destination.
- Take some dance lessons and have fun. Who cares if you can’t dance? That’s the point.
- Grab a group of friends and play a sport you haven’t played in a while. Soccer, baseball, basketball, volleyball, hockey, etc.
- Do some volunteer work helping people less fortunate than you. It will change your perspective.
- Go surfing even if you have never done it before. When I tried it, I wasn’t only outside my comfort zone, but it made me realize that discipline and persistence are keys to success. After spending a whole afternoon attempting to surf, I was able to stand up on the board for about 7 seconds.
- Read a book, meditate, or just stay still while sitting on the beach.
- Try horseback riding. It might be intimidating at first, but once you establish a connection with your horse, you’ll feel like a true Spartan. I promise.
- Have meaningful conversations over a beach bonfire with your friends.
- Start a blog and share your writing with the world.
- Eat something you’ve never eaten before.
- Learn a new language and its culture.
- Have a karaoke night with your friends and sing the night away.
- Teach someone a language you master. I can help you practice your Spanish.
- Help a friend with a side-project. You might learn new skills and meet new people in the process.
- Organize a local meetup in your city around subjects that get you outside your comfort zone or that you are passionate about.
- Next time you have dinner with your family or a group of friends try playing the Rose, Bud, Thorn game. The Rose is the best part of your day. The Thorn is the worst part of your day, and the Bud is what you are looking forward tomorrow. Powerful exercise to practice mindfulness.
- Take action now and do one thing that will take you closer to the life you’ve always wanted. Making a decision takes less than five minutes. Do it now!
Here’s a clip that sums up what life is all about and how lucky we are to be alive with an opportunity to have fun while doing things that matter.
Share this with someone you think will have their day brightened from watching it.